"Raven Aerostar is our balloon design partner and manufacturer of our envelopes. They bring to the project decades of expertise in high altitude balloon engineering as well as the latest breakthroughs in super pressure balloon engineering." – Mike Cassidy, Project Lead, Google[x]
Raven Aerostar’s Super Pressure Balloons | Google’s Project Loon
Raven Aerostar is working closely with Google in their audacious MOONSHOT called PROJECT LOON, designed to provide wireless internet access to millions of people worldwide. This innovative solution utilizes Raven Aerostar High Altitude Balloons. Our work with Google has the potential to change millions of lives. Improved medical care, access to knowledge, and enriched agriculture are all benefits of connecting people.
"Project Loon is a Raven Aerostar collaboration with Google that celebrates a common mission to SOLVE GREAT CHALLENGES through innovative technology and to provide critical communication capabilities to developing nations." – Lon Stroschein, Raven Director of Corporate Development
Project Loon utilizes Raven Aerostar-designed and -manufactured SUPER PRESSURE BALLOONS. These high performing, long-duration balloons carry Google’s internet-providing technology to new heights. In 2012, we set out to tailor our proven super pressure balloon designs to specifically fit Google’s mission and requirements. The technology leaps we have made are revolutionizing lighter-than-air platforms and mission capabilities.
Together with Google, these balloons are able to use wind patterns, payload technology and balloon design to move the system along a desired path while being tracked in real-time. Each balloon deploys a Raven Aerostar recovery parachute at the end of its flight.
The balloon is consistently pressurized during both day and night operations, providing greater stability at float altitude. The highly technical and specialized balloon material, as thin as a typical sandwich bag, is manufactured by Raven’s own ENGINEERED FILMS DIVISION.
Video via The Verge | May 2015
Inside Project Loon: Google's internet in the sky is almost open for business. Raven Aerostar's Loon Balloons are staying aloft for as long as six months.
A record-breaking Loon Balloon spent 187 days aloft. It managed to circumnavigate the globe 9 times, enduring temperatures as low as -75°C (-103°F) and wind speeds as high as 291 km/h, soaring to a maximum height of 21km and drifting over more than a dozen countries across 4 continents. Read more from Google.
Google announces records from the project to date. Most notably, "The Marathoner" reached 134 days aloft, and "The Frosty Survivor" endured tempatures reaching -83°C (-117°F). Read more from the project's inagural Golden Balloon Awards 2014.
Project Loon flight hits a program milestone of 120+ days in the stratosphere.
Project Loon flight hits a program milestone of 50 days in the stratosphere.
Project Loon is revealed to the world. Test flights for the pilot project take off in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Raven Aerostar and Google begin collaborating to bring Project Loon to the skies.
Still hungry for more?
- Raven Aerostar's Project Loon YouTube Playlist
- WIRED | Google is Testing its Internet Balloons in a Huge Freezer
- MIT Technology Review | Project Loon
- The Verge | Inside Project Loon: Google's internet in the sky is almost open for business
- BloombergBusiness | Google's Project Loon: Providing Web Access with Balloons
- Raven Industries Balloon for Google's Project Loon Exceeds 120 Days of Flight
- Slate | Not As Loony As It Sounds
- Project Loon | Golden Balloon Awards 2014
- WIRED | Google's Balloon Internet Experiment, One Year Later
- GOOGLE’S OFFICIAL BLOG | INTRODUCING PROJECT LOON
- LOON FOR ALL
- Project Loon Related Videos | Raven Aerostar Playlist
- RAVEN INDUSTRIES COLLABORATES WITH GOOGLE
- RAVEN AEROSTAR SUPER PRESSURE BALLOONS
- WIRED | HOW GOOGLE WILL USE HIGH-FLYING BALLOONS TO DELIVER INTERNET TO THE HINTERLANDS
- Stuck In Customs, Trey Ratcliff | SHOOTING PROJECT LOON FROM GOOGLE
|Looking for an innovative solution for your high altitude mission? Raven Aerostar specializes in tailoring our balloon systems to your needs. CONTACT US to get started on your unique project today.|