The Raven Bluetooth Pilot Interface (BPI) is a Bluetooth wireless device that translates data from an AIS Pilot Port Interface (PPI) plug found on a ship and transmits that AIS data to a computer via a Bluetooth or USB serial data link. The BPI has a small footprint with 20 hours of battery life on a single charge and auto-correct feature for detecting wiring errors on the pilot plug. The BPI is used by pilots throughout the United States and is manufactured in the U.S. by Raven Industries.
Rechargeable Battery allows for 20+ hours of operation on a single charge.
Actual battery life will depend on many factors, including temperature, range, and BPI age.
- Class I Bluetooth Wireless Data Link with range up to 100 m (330 ft) with an on-board audio alarm to indicate Bluetooth connection status
- Wire Wizard – the BPI auto-corrects for wiring errors on the pilot plug
- Auto Baud – automatically detects PPI signals at 9600, 19200 or 38400 baud and converts to a standard 38400 baud output
- Standard system includes two AIS-BPI cables, universal travel charger and USB cable
- Size: 102 mm x 51 mm x 25 mm (4 in x 2 in x 1 in)
- Weight: 102 g (3.6 oz)
- Connectors: 7-pin eSATA, female
- Mini-B USB port for charging and optional data path
LED indicators for
Wireless connection status
Power, including low power indication
Pilot plug data status
Battery charger status
- Operating Temperature: -20°C to 40°C (-4°F to 104°F)
- Storage Temperature: -20°C to 50°C (-4°F to 122°F)
- Uses a class I Bluetooth radio with dynamic power management which automatically lowers transmit power to maximize the battery life.
- USB Connector provides backup communications path for AIS data.
- Auto-corrects for wiring errors on the pilot plug
- Scans for PPI signals at 9600, 19200 and 38400 baud rates
- Night Mode dims the LED status lights at night
- Soft shutdown after 60 minutes of no AIS data to conserve battery life
- USB cable can be used for charging the battery and for hard-wire access to the AIS data
- BPI firmware can be updated in the field with supplied software
- A loopback adapter is attached to the AIS-BPI cable to verify the BPI
- Battery: 3.7V, 1250m Ah Li-Ion rechargeable smart battery
- Operating time at 23°C (75°F): 20 hours with Bluetooth connection
Recharge time: 1-1.5 h
Input voltage: 4.2V
- LED indicators for low power and charge status
To download this information, click here.